The 6th annual hallmark startup event of St. Louis’s tech scene, Capital Innovators Demo Day 2017, couldn’t have went better. I am delighted and grateful for the way it all turned out. The show went great, the companies did a phenomenal job pitching and the love and support from our large audience was truly felt.
Demo Day allowed 10 of the most recent accelerator graduates to present to the public and investor community. Each of our rockstar startups highlighted their business strategies, company objectives and growth trajectories to generate continued funding and interest. We truly believe St. Louis will have some successful Unicorns blossoming in the near future.
In this year's show I had the opportunity to take the stage and really engage with our audience. This was my first time taking the lead on stage and I couldn't be more humbled by the opportunity. What was even more incredible was the amazingly positive feedback I received about the show immediately after the event and into today.
We took this moment to share some big announcements about CI partnerships and the grand visions we hold for the future here at Capital Innovators. One of our most crucial and long-standing corporate partnerships is with Maritz. The amount of hard work, dedication and expertise they bring to the table for CI and our companies is immeasurable.
Another announcement, which I am personally thrilled about for several reasons, is our public/private partnership with Ameren, The University of Missouri Systems and UMSL Accelerate in our new Ameren Accelerator. This partnership is the first of it’s kind in the world where we have a corporation, a state-wide university system and an Accelerator all collaborating together in hopes of discovering the most cutting-edge clean energy tech solutions from around the world. This is a pivotal moment for Capital Innovators as we move forward to focus on the biggest issues facing the planet. We closed applications for Ameren Accelerator on May 12th, 2017 and have received over 200 applications from over 30 countries and over 20 states. We received companies that applied in a plethora of industries including solar, battery, wind, tidal energy grid, distributed generation, digital communication, AI, drones, AR/VR and more. We are very pleased with the results.
For the first time ever we publicly announced our partnership with Rozzy Learning Company. I have had the incredible opportunity to work with Rozzy for the past several months and truly believe in the value they have to offer the future of our kids. Rozzy introduces young children to STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) careers, preparing them for the 21st century workforce.
Alongside Rozzy we had 9 other companies take the stage to pitch:
- Row Vigor is a rowing based fitness technology company that connects people with data and each other to facilitate an unparalleled fitness experience.
- Appbase.io provides the building blocks for creating reactive apps allowing developers to focus on delivering apps, not infrastructure.
- Sunstation is a weather resistant, all- natural, touch-free sunscreen dispenser, and your community’s #1 resource for preventing sunburns and skin cancer.
- Pico.Buzz is enabling live event hosts, like sports teams or entertainers, to enhance the fan experience by building one-on-one relationships.
- Soozie Doozie offers the first pre-cut, refrigerated cookie dough in a stand up pouch with a window for transparency.
- Collabra is a suite of uniquely combined tools helping arts instructors and students save time, ensure accountability and more.
- RippleNami is the first easy-to use, intuitive visualization platform that allows anyone to map their world.
- MathBrix is a SaaS platform delivering research-based, visual learning games and activities to help young children (Pre K- Grade 3) think mathematically and problem-solve.
- Collaborata is the market-research marketplace, which showcases consumer insights projects executed by outside experts and available at reduced prices through cost-sharing.
A huge heartfelt thank you to all those that made our 6th annual Capital Innovators Demo Day the best it’s ever been. I am truly grateful and humbled by the love, the support and all the positive energy that surged around yesterday and only wish to bring even more tremendous value to all those involved. Thank you to our investors, sponsors, companies, partners and mentors who all add tremendous value to Capital Innovators everyday.
Last but not least, we announced the opening of our Fall 2017 Cohort Applications. This opportunity affords companies $50K in funding, over $1 million worth of perks and benefits, office space for the course of 12 weeks, and a very structured 12 week program that will accelerate the growth of the selected businesses. We are truly excited and passionate about the future here at Capital Innovators and I am personally very eager and excited to see the next batch of tech/consumer product startups this Fall 2017.
If you are interested in learning more about the future of technology check out my new E-Book Consciousness & Tech.